Re: Amp Meter or Volt Meter?

To: Claes Lagercrantz <Claes.Lagercrantz@eu.pnu.com>
Subject: Re: Amp Meter or Volt Meter?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:49:17 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Claes Lagercrantz wrote:

>   I would like to add to Bills questions:
>
>   - where do I find gauges most like the originals (I have a Spitfire
>     '63 Mk1, and is looking for Amp/Volt meter and Oil pressure gauge)

Smiths instruments (what Jaeger instruments really were anyway) are being
made still, and there are replacement gauges that have much the same
appearance as the original gauges (save for SMITHS instead of JAEGER on
the face of the gauge). Or, you might find some old NOS SMITHS accessory
gauges from back then, or use gauges from, say, a TR4A, changing the rim
to the "correct" Spitfire style. Plenty of options.

>   - What is the best mounting place for gauges due to the opinion of the
>     list, not have it to "aftermarket look-a-like" ?

Don't worry so much about that "look"; worry more about putting them
where you can see them and where they otherwise are out of the way (not
bumping your knee when you brake or something like that)!

--Andy