Temp Fiberglass Footwell done - thanks!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temp Fiberglass Footwell done - thanks!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:37:45 -0800
Well, it's all done now.  That fiberglass resin and fabric when goopy and
wet seems so flimsy that it's hard to imagine that it's going to set up to
be as strong as I know it will be.  It's drying now.  I have no idea how
long that takes since the instructions didn't specify, but I'm assuming 24
hours.

Thanks to the input of several here, I've manged to create a temporary,
REMOVABLE fiberglass insert for my driver's side footwell that fits like a
glove (well, almost).  This will provide solid support for my feet, yet will
be easily removed by my repairman when he sets out to replace the floor
panels in a few months since I didn't apply it to the floor metal itself,
but rather a mold I put over it.  Perfect compromise. No hazardous sharp
metal to cut, no pop rivet kit to buy and for $12.95 I can drive with some
piece of mind in the interim.

The fiberglass extends over the horizontal front ridge of the footwell all
the way back and halfway over the cross-member in front of the seat.  I
opted to lay down aluminum foil rather than plastic wrap for the insulating
barrier mold -- foil seemed easier to handle and more stable when secured
around the perimeter with duct tape.

I'll include step by step photos on my web page when it's completed, in case
anyone else wants to see it.

Thanks again,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3