Re: Fwd: [pub] Fw: Irony from the Jag list

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: [pub] Fw: Irony from the Jag list
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:23:35 -0600
I had head this story before and saw an episode that at least mentioned this on
TV show "Law  & Order" or "Homicide" .  So I decided to see what I could find on
the net.

I found this on http://www.snopes.com/ an Urban Legends page.

     Origins:   This amazing tale appeared on the Internet in August 1994.
     both for the entertaining logic problem it presents as well as the morally
     surprise ending, even years later it remains a cyber-favorite and continues
to be
     forwarded to ever-widening circles of netizens.

     A story this good should be true. Alas, it's not. There never was a
     Opus, a feuding, shotgun-wielding older couple, or an increasingly confused
     medical examiner trying to get to the bottom of things. But there is some
truth to
     it, for there is a Don Harper Mills, and he did tell this very story at a
meeting of
     the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

     Here's how Mills explained his involvement with the story in a 1997

          I made up the story in 1987 to present at the meeting, for
and to
          illustrate how if you alter a few small facts you greatly alter the
          consequences. In 1994 someone copied it on to the Internet. I was told
it had
          already garnered 200,000 enquiries on the Net. In the past two years
I've had
          around 400 telephone calls about it - librarians, journalists, law
students, even
          law professors wanting to incorporate it into text books.

     It was hypothetical; just a story made up to illustrate a point. It's hard
     anyone at that 1987 meeting took it for anything else.

     How did a 1987 illustrative anecdote morph into 1994's believed-to-be-true
     We'll likely never know. How did Dr. Mills come to concoct such a tale? As
     in a 1997 interview, "Some of it I wrote out, and some of it I invented as

Roger Elliott