Re: Optional Extras

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Optional Extras
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:04:43 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Jeff McNeal wrote:

> That's a very cool momento to have.  My sister mailed me two repair
> estimates she received for her original '67 Mk3 (that I subsquently bought)
> when she was rear ended by someone.  For the rear valance, trunk lid and
> paint, plus labor -- the estimates ranged from... get this -- $140 - $160.

...and she got off cheap! My dad and mom were "broadsided" at an
intersection in 1967, while driving his Herald 1200 convertible. The
estimate, which included a complete new bonnet (same arrangement as the
Spitfire -- one-piece, flip-up sheetmetal -- just in case there's anyone
on this list NOT familiar with Heralds), was about $450! For a lot of
reasons, dad didn't go with that estimate but did have a local guy do
some rudimentary straightening (no painting) and "replacement" of the
side/flasher lamp.

I wish I had a photo of that phase of the car's existence. I think I
might still have the then-39-cents-each Western Auto "lamps" -- one amber
and one white -- that the guy mounted in place of the original Lucas
lamp. OK, they did the job, but....

Eventually dad bought a new correct lamp unit and I put it on when a high
school buddy and I "repaired and repainted" the car as a summer (1968) job
between my sophomore and junior year in high school!

--Andy