RE: RHD to LHD conversion

To: "'Ketil Oftedahl'" <ketil.oftedahl@datapoint.no>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RHD to LHD conversion
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:33:46 -0500
Ketil, I am sorry to say that a rhd to lhd conversion would be very
complicated and the easiest item would be moving the steering column.  Here
are some of the items you would have to consider.  The entire firewall would
be backwards, including the holes for the steering column, electrical
harness, and fuse box.  The battery and pedal/master cylinder assemblies
would have to be switched, including the bump in the firewall that allows
the m/c to fit (not sure what year that started), possibly the wiper motor
(don't remeber this one).  The wiring harness would be different as it is
reversed and the relation of components would be changed.  The wooden dash
would have to be replaced.  The metal dash back and all the supports for the
columns would have to be changed.  door mirrors would have to be changed.

The windshield wipers would have to be changed as they are wiping the wrong
way.

Now that you have to move the column, you will also need to completely
replace the rack and pinion. as it will no longer work.

Another question, that I don't know, are turn signals located on the left
side of the column on UK cars or on the right side, therefore keeping them
outboard.

This has not even touched on the many safety features that might/might not
be required by your government.

Personally, I would keep it RHD.

Patrick Bowen