Re: RHD to LHD conversion

To: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RHD to LHD conversion
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:17:38 -0500 ()
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Andrew Mace wrote:

> No, wipers park on one side or the other depending on whether it is a RHD
> or LHD car. It has to do with how much of the glass in front of the driver
> is cleared with a sweep of the wiper.
>
> Look at the picture of the LHD US-spec Mk3 at
> <http://www.vtr.org/Spitfire/index.html>. If you visualize (pun intended)
> the path of the wiper blades, you'll see how the one blade would not do
> as much to clear the glass in front of the passenger side, while the
> driver's side blade will sweep up to more or less parallel with the
> left side of the glass. OK, easier visualized than described.... ;-)

Further to that, there seems to have been a change in philosophy
at or sometime during the run of the Spitfire Mk3 models. Two factors were
involved: one was (I think) some Federal standards involving how much of
the glass was cleared by the wipers; and/or the fact that sometime during
the Mk3 production, the wiper mechanisms were commonised with that of the
Triumph 1300 sedan. This can be spotted by the greater distance between
wheel boxes and, therefore, greater distance between wiper arms.

Funny thing is, from what I can tell of the earlier cars, the wiper park
position was the opposite (RHD car wipers parked to the right, etc.) from
the later cars (LHD car wipers parked to the right).

Fun and confusing!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22) *