Timing

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 16:15:20 -0400
Listers,

a couple weeks ago I replaced the distributor on my '76 1500 and added a
Lumenition. I set the timing by ear for lack of a timing light at that point. I
went back today to check the timing and was surprised to find it so much
advanced that it was off the scale (no emissions equipment left on car, vacuum
connected, idle 700 rpm, single vacuum advance dizzy).

On my timing scale was a yellow dot at 2 ATDC, so I now set the timing to about
1 ATDC (vacuum connected, 700 RPM).

Is this is about right? I only have manuals for the 1296 engine and never had a
car with a single Stromberg before.

Should I set the timing with vacuum connected or disconnected?

The car ran fine with the far advanced ignition and still idles great with the
new setting - it's raining today so I haven't taken it for a ride with the
revised timing. It starts at the first key turn.

Marcus