Re:What to do first?

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:What to do first?
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:45:20 -0400
I did the brakes (complete strip and rebuild with new shoes, pads, hoses etc),
fuel system (check tank is OK and replace the filters as well), rubber
lines/hoses, electrical connections/lights, compession check, carb rebuild, new
plugs/leads/cap/rotor, tie-rod end, ball joints (these rubber bits again), oil
filter and all oil/fluids changed. Basically anything that needs lubrication or
may have rotted (rubber seals) or degraded with time (brake fluid). Also new
battery, front trunnions and check anything that should have been
checked/replaced in normal maintenance including suspension and exhaust. I
squirted oil in the cylinders and turned the engine over to lube it.
I never pulled the head on mine. It had been sitting for 4 years.

Then you can do the trim/paint etc. It's nice to have a running car and then
work on the rest.

Alan ('76 spitfire now getting a paint job)