What's wrong with my brakes?

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's wrong with my brakes?
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 09 Oct 2000 07:23:13 -0500
Help!!!

Symptoms - First press of the pedal, lots of travel before there is any braking
 effect.  Since there is not much travel left, I hit the floor before I can
 achieve strong braking; mild braking requires almost the full travel of the
 pedal.

Release the pedal (completely), and press again - brakes behave fine, braking
 effort builds without too much pedal travel, can lock the wheels long before I
 hit the floor.

This came on today - Friday my brakes were fine (as far as I remember), this
 morning they were dodgy.

Brake fluid level was low-ish (just above the min. mark on the reservoir), so I
 topped up at lunch-time - no change, brakes still dodgy.

My wife is supposed to be borrowing Daffy tomorrow, so I could really do with
 having this fixed today!!  This means that I would really appreciate replies
 by 5:00 UK time (12:00 Eastern, 9:00 Pacific US times I think) if you read
 this before then!  Also, since I subscribe to the digest, could replies be
 directed to my own e-mail address (as well as to the List for everyone else's
 benefit).

Many thanks,

Richard & Daffy (goes fine, doesn't stop!)