clutch seizure

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch seizure
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:59:32 -0600
For those who are interested in why a clutch cylinder should suddenly
seize - here is the story.

Clutch worked perfectly shifting into first.  Tried to shift to second
and the pedal went to the floor normally, but wouldn't return.  Several
stomps on the pedal got it to return, then next time it wouldn't move at
all.  A lot of force on the pedal got it to disengage again then it
jammed again.

Removed the complete system, - no leaks, no fouled clutch levers that I
could see, slave moved freely, master did not.

Tried to dismantle the master cylinder - even air pressure at 100 psi
wouldn't drive the piston out of the cylinder.  So on a suggestion from
a friend, I drilled a small hole in line with the bore, through from the
back of the reservoir.  Inserted a piece of 1/8" hard steel rod and
drove the piston out with a hammer.

Discovered the failure was due to - - - - - a broken return spring!  It
had snapped and ridden up on itself at the rear of the piston, binding
against the cylinder wall.

Now I'm going to get the cylinder rebored, sleeved, find a new spring
and start over again.

Cheers, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,