Re: worrying noises

To: "John Hobson" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: worrying noises
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:20:21 -0400
John Hobson wrote:
> If I put my foot on the gas pedal sharply there is a 'clunk' noise coming
> from the passenger side rear of the car.  Also when driving at speed
> (only with the gas pedal pressed) there is a whining noise also from the
> passenger side rear which is more apparent when accelerating.

While the whining would tend to indicate a UJ and the clunk could also be
the slack in the old UJ being taken up, you might also want to check for
rust through on the bracket and/or heelboard to which the rear radius rod
attaches.

While driving, place your hand behind the passenger seat and on the bracket.
Accelerate in the manner that produces the clunk and feel for any movement
in the area.