RE: Drill Bits

To: "'Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou'" <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: RE: Drill Bits
From: "Norby, Mark A" <NorbyMA@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:41:46 -0600
Don't buy the funny points if you ever want to use them for enlarging
holes.........

I have had some luck with sharpening my bits on a grinder - most have an
angled slot that works for this.  Start with the leading edge of each
cutting fluke and rotate about 45 degrees while slightly increasing
pressure.  This will give you the right amount of relief (so the cutting
edge is higher than the material behind it).  Be careful not ot heat them to
the point where they discolor.

I've had the same frustration with bits dulling quickly and so far haven't
found any that last.

Anybody found some tough bits?

-Mark