Re: Installing an ABS Transmission Cover

To: Ron Deaver <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing an ABS Transmission Cover
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:32:32 -0400
I have never dealt with a plastic tunnel cover,
but if I did, I would not bother re-using
the original plastic-covered insulation.
It is not that great for noise and vibration
deadening, and hot air tends to blow under it,
so it's not that great for heat insulation, either.

I'd consider using the foil-covered felt stuff
("Space-age insulating mat" or whatever) that
you can get at Pep Boys for $19.99 a roll.
I would glue one layer on the inside of
the cover, and another layer on top, under the carpet.

BTW, if you have a sewing machine, you can easily topstitch
around the edges of this material.  An ordinary needle
penetrates it quite easily.   If you do this, exposed edges will
not get all frayed.  I did this to the pieces I glued under
my bonnet,and it gives it a more professional touch.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit