Re: Installing an ABS Transmission Cover

To: rrdeaver@emagichappens.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing an ABS Transmission Cover
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:29:06 +0100
Ron,

For the seal, contact cement should work fine.  Is your tunnel similar to
the one I bought, in that it's not at all obvious exactly where the seal
should go?

As for the insulation, I decided this was a bad idea.  I bought a couple of
rolls of sound insulation from a stand at a show - it's pretty thick, I
think it's supposed to be used in the bulkhead (firewall).

I used some foil for heat insulation, then attached the sound insulation to
the foil, which was attached to the inside of the tunnel.  Did similar
under the carpet (except in front of the drivers seat, where the extra
thickness caused the carpet to interfere with the pedals).

Everything is held together with contact cement, and it all seems pretty
secure.  Took the tunnel out to fix the overdrive, and inspected the
insulation inside it, found no problems with it.

I'm happy with the results, although not extatic.  It's reduced the sound
enough that I can just about hear the radio at full volume, at 70mph with
the top down.  (I'd be able to hear the radio better if the speakers
weren't covered by the top and the tonneau - but that's my fault for not
thinking about that before I mounted them!)

Dean