Re: What's wrong with my brakes?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com
Subject: Re: What's wrong with my brakes?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:55:32 -0400
Glad your brakes are feeling better.

There is a vast difference between the various brake pad/shoe manufacturers.
Cheap ones
tend to not fit well, the lining material is compressable, the whole shoe can
flex, and they give
poor braking results.  I find it worth the money to buy quality.  You don't
need to go outragous
to get it either.  Fwiw, the silver and gold store line shoes and pads sold by
Advance Auto (and
all it's name variations) are made by Ferodo.

Yes, grease on the lining is a bad thing.  At first it's slick, so you're
mashing the brakes trying
to make them work.  Eventually it burns, and you get sticky brakes that grab
sporatically.
You can clean brakes with a regiment of dish soap, and brake cleaner solvent,
but you
really are better off replacing them.

You do want lubrication in the brakes though.  You want the shoes to slide
nicely on the
backing plate and such, but you don't want it on the pads.  Use a high temp
grease
for this.

I can't comment about the properness of grease coming out of the hubs into the
brake area, but you've given me something to investigate this weekend now on
mine!  I'd been keeping my mouth shut, but my brakes are so bad right now I
don't want to drive the car. :-)