RE: What's wrong with my brakes?

To: "'Richard B Gosling'" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: RE: What's wrong with my brakes?
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:19:05 -0500
PDWA is the pressure warning device.
The POS stands for Piece of S---.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard B Gosling [mailto:Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 2:46 AM
To: CraigS
Cc: npenney; spitfires

So...  What on earth is a POS PDWA valve?  Too many initials that I don't
know
 what they stand for!

Nolan - I had to push the pistons back in a little to remove the pads, in
order
 to grind off the excessive metal.  The moved quite freely, and re-applying
the
 brakes should have pushed them back to the new correct position.  No sign
of
 any fluif loss around the pistons.  So I doubt that is the problem.

In fact, driving home yesterday, I felt that the brakes HAD improved
somewhat
 compared to how they were at the beginning of this saga.  So, the grinding
of
 the pads and/or the extra bleeding has helped.  They are still not quite
where
 I would prefer them to be, but good enough to lend Daffy to my wife while I
 take her car in to have its suspension fixed (it's a Citroen, their
suspension
 systems are way too complicated for their own good...).  I'm hoping that
 adjusting the rear brakes will be enough to get the brakes right back to
where
 they should be, although I may still replace the rubber hoses with new,
steel
 braided items, to improve response further.

I am confident the my front brakes are still working, at least after the
second
 press, as they will lock up happily when hit hard.  Also, if it was just
all
 air in the system, I should hear it rushing out under 21 psi pressure from
the
 tyre, not the complete lack of anything I got when I opened up the bleed
 valve.  It must be a blockage, which I will try to clear under pedal
pressure.

R & D

CraigS@iewc.com on 16Oct2000 08:05 PM