Leaking differential

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking differential
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:08:06 -0500

Since the GL-5 fluid I filled my differential with is currently leaking
all over my garage floor, I am considering replacing my pinion oil seal.
>From the description in my Repair/Operation manual it doesn't look all
that complicated as long as the relationships between flanges are
scribed for reassembly and I count the turns of the holding nut.
However, the manual calls for a Tool S337 to "hold the differential
pinon flange"; unfortunately, there is no picture of this special
implement.
My question therefore is whether this tool is mandatory to do the job or
is there something I can rig up from normal garage tools.  And further,
are there any special considerations in undertaking this job.

Thanks to all.

Gary Hutton
Indiana, USA
76 1500