Re: Heating Controls Spitfire 1500

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heating Controls Spitfire 1500
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:13:24 +0100
At 17:07 22-2-2001 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

>The hot/cold and air direction levers in my new Spit are unbelievably
>stiff in operation, although they do actually do what they are supposed
>to when you can get them to move.   Where should I be lubricating them?
>The Haynes Manual shows how to get at the control mechanisms, and I
>suppose I could grease the pivots and clean up the working surfaces, but
>where else should I be looking?

Lubricate the pivots point _and_ the cables running off in various
directions. Stiffness in this case is IMHO mostly due to sticking cables.

>Oh, and does anyone know what size Allen Key is required to release the
>grubscrews in the knobs?   The smallest one I have is far too big!

It's 1/16" and in case you're interested: keys in that size are incredibly
difficult to obtain in metric countries. Do not use a 1.5mm one, you'll
ruin the grubscrews. :-(

>(BTW, does anyone else find the following instruction in the Owner's
>Manual hilarious?   "To increase ventilation, the side windows may be
>lowered.")

What's wrong with that? Perfectly sound advice, I'd say. ;-)

Cheers,

--
Eric Kieboom - The Netherlands
1976 Spit 1500 - Original Java Green