Re: Heating Controls Spitfire 1500

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heating Controls Spitfire 1500
From: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2001 09:34:00 +0000
On Thursday, February 22, 2001, Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
wrote:

>Oh, and does anyone know what size Allen Key is required to release the
>grubscrews in the knobs?   The smallest one I have is far too
>big!

I find that a No. 6 torx fits just fine.

Lube the cables!!  It is a pain of a job, best done with the cables off the
car, which is why no one has done it before!

On my MKIII the cable "inner" is actually a fine rod and can be simply
extracted.  I cleaned mine with fine sand paper and cleaned the inside of the
"outer" by pulling string through it. I lubed it with grease and I now have a
wonderfully slick heater control.  If your inner is a twisted wire (Like a
bicycle cable) then I would not advise pulling it from the outer. You will
never get it back in!!

Dean Rayner