Re: Spitfire 1500 tools

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 tools
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:16:15 +0000
In article <005d01c09f4f$0e9ee120$ec106720@lapuser>, Laura G.
<Laura.G@141.com> writes
>> Yours is rather gorgeous as well;
>
>Thanks. Nigel is a rather spoiled boy! ;-)
>
>> I particularly liked the "other"
>> Spitfire in the background of the picture!
>
>Lovely kite, isn't it? That one actually lives here, in California. It's one
>of the planes featured in the "Ghosts 2001" Calendar! It had belonged to an
>air marshal who used it as his private hack-and so it was painted in his
>colours.

We have a couple of Supermarine Spitfires near me, at the Shuttleworth
Collection in Old Warden.   I must try to get over there this summer and
take a few piccies.

>> I then had a blinding flash of 1970s inspiration, and
>> came up with Purdey (Joanna Lumley in "The New Avengers", not the
>> shotgun manufacturer).   This was nice but, I thought, a little
>> presumptuous, so I decided to sleep on it.   I woke up this morning with
>> what I think is "the answer" - Carly.   First of all it is an accurate
>> description (CARL[ight]Y[ellow]); secondly, I had a huge crush on a girl
>> called Carly in 1977, and thirdly, you can't get much more
>> archetypically Seventies than Carly Simon.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
>As much as I love Carly Simon-I'd vote for Purdey!

Harumph!   Now you've gone and confused the issue again. :-)   I shall
ask her nicely on the way to work this morning (in the snow), which she
prefers.   If she stalls when I try "Carly" and purrs when I say
"Purdey", I'll know what to do...

BTW, just to drag this thread back onto its stated topic, I have now
completed and uploaded the promised summary of the recommendations for
Spitfire tools.   The page is linked at the bottom of
        http://www.hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk/Spit.html
just underneath the daft piece of PC wallpaper I spent two hours making
yesterday morning.   I'm beginning to think I'm obsessed.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
to be published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: