Re: Alignment Question

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Alignment Question
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:31:10 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> Here is a lovely quote from the Foreward of the Benteley service manual:
>
> Assembly work on small, highly-tuned machines such as the
> Triumph sports cars must be carried out with greater pre-
> cision than is commonly practiced on large American cars.
> Particular emphasis must be given to the proper use of torque
> wrenches and to the strict adherence to tightening torque
> specifications which are given in this Manual.
> Stretched or broken bolts and distorted parts, which
> result from overtightening by muscle-bound mechanics,
> become a serious concern where the precision fitting
> of light alloy and thin-wall iron castings is involved.

This is not a strictly american trait.

Anecdote time!!

I knew a British Civilian mechanic for the RAF in Germany.  Typical
rugby playing bruiser.  Used to brag about never using a torque wrench.
One day I stopped by the motor pool to say "Hi" and found him hobbling
around with a cast on his leg.  Of course, we all assumed he got his
leg broken playing rugby.  We were wrong.  it seems he dropped an
engine block on it lifting it out of one of those Ford Escort Estates
the British Military was (is?) so fond of.  Wanna bet wether or not he
could stretch a head bolt??

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |