Re: Re: Vacu-rak

To: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Vacu-rak
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:19:12 -0700
> Laura,
>
> When I got my car it had a rack attached to the boot (trunk) lid.  Not sure
> if it was exactly the one you've found - it had four suction cups on the
> bottom, and four adjustable hooks which go around the edge of the boot lid.

No, the one I found doesn't have hooks as you describe-just vaccuum cups. And
the straps are nylon-so to live it on while not in use would be rather ugly.

I've seen ones like you described in catalogs, but I don't like hooks.

> AFAIK, the previous owner left it on permanently.  I took it off because I
> didn't like the way it looked - I thought I could use it only when I needed
> it.  When I removed it, I found four round patches of rust underneath the
> suction caps, presumably where they had trapped the moisture in for a
> period of several years.

Augh!

> Definitely a useful addition to your car, especially if it's your only car
> and you want to go on holiday with it or anything.  But whatever you do,
> don't leave it attached permanently - remove it when not in use.

Yep-my only car-and sometimes the trunk just doesn't do it! ;-)

This is the first Spitfire I've had without a luggage rack, and though I really
prefer the look, it would be nice to have a portable, detachable rack!

Thanks,
Laura G.