Re: trunnion rebuild

To: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>,
Subject: Re: trunnion rebuild
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:56:54 -0500
I had wondered about this in the past, and I did some Internet searching
to try to figure out what a "zinc base" grease is.  I discovered that zinc oxide
is a common filler material for "white" grease, but I could not find
anything that described what characteristics zinc oxide gave to a grease,
except for making it white.

My theory is this:  Avoid moly-based greases, because the particles
of moly might be abrasive to soft plastic.  Same for graphite.
So I used classic old-fashioned wheel bearing grease (the
amber-colored kind) the last time I did a trunnion.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit