Re: Mystery component (revisited)

To: foster_m@swbell.net, Spit-flyers <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery component (revisited)
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:43:06 -0500
I have received several off-list emails about this relay.  I'm sending
this to the list as it's easier than replying to each person's questions
individually.  The relay is indeed the item Joe Curry mentioned [item 24
on page 262 of (blue) Haynes].  Joe and I talked a little about it off-
line.  initially, I didn't want to clutter the list with too much detail
about Haynes' errors.  However, for those of you who found page 262
raised
more questions than answers, here's something I sent to Joe last night:
> Haynes has sort of got it right on page 262 except:
>
> 1) They call item 24 a "starter relay" which is misleading at best.
> It only tests the lamps, nothing else.
>
> 2) They don't show what two of the terminals connect to.  I would guess
> these go to the brake warning lamp and the EGR service lamp.
>
> 3) They show one white orange wire connected to item 24 (there are two).
>
> 4) Granted, they do show the white/orange wire splitting into two, and
> one branch going to the seat belt timer.  That's ok.  The other branch
> going to the starter solenoid.  That's ok too, except they show it also
> tied to the ignition switch.  That's not right.  The wire from the
> ignition switch to the starter solenoid is actually white/red and it
> connects to a different terminal on the starter solenoid.  It does
> not connect to the white/orange wire, or it's associated terminal
> on the starter solenoid.
>
> 5) They don't show the black/blue wire (connected to one of the grounded
> terminals) at all.
>
> I guess, other than that, you could rely on the Haynes schematic ;-)

I'm a bit confused though.  I thought my original post was fairly
(maybe too?) comprehensive and Haynes was "annoyingly obscure" on
this topic.

It was written:
//
> > My OD is J-type and is original equipment. I think the definitive
> > (and annoyingly obscure) answer was posted by Bob Sykes.
//

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)