Re: Mystery component (revisited)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery component (revisited)
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:04:27 -0500
Bobby Sykes writes:

>My original post was obscure in that I called the mystery component
>a "lamp test relay".  Although that is the function of the component,
>it is not the name used in the manual.  I should have mentioned that.
>I don't like it, but "Starter Relay" it is...

Ah!  I suppose I must jump in and take credit (or blame) for
designating the "mystery component" as *lamp test relay*.

Hayne's term, "Starter Relay", is no doubt a carryover from the
earlier Federal Spits where a similar relay was used to interrupt the
start circuit.  That was the infamous seat belt interlock thingy.

Anyone interested in seeing a diagram for 1976 Federal Spitfire
FM50855U will find it here:

http://web.meganet.net/~tomomalley/spitpr76.jpg

This is a 1 meg image so be prepared. :-)

>I cannot take all the credit for figuring out the correct wiring. A
>fellow named Tom O'Malley did most of the work.  Some of the "old-
>timers" on the list may remember him.  I don't think he lurks on the
>Spitfires list anymore.

No so,  Bobby-O!  :-)  I lurk from time to time but the volume makes
it hard to real all the messages.

> He took some complete wiring harnesses from
>his parts cars and reverse engineered them.  No easy task.  We did
>quite a bit of collective "head scratching" trying to make sense of
>the conflicting information in the manuals.

Yes!  That was fun, eh?  I still can't believe you agreed to start
dismantling your functional (previously) cars so we could trace the
wires.  WATTAGUY! :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley!
'74, '77 Spits