Re: Replacing wheel bearings

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing wheel bearings
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:27:45 -0500
At 06:33 AM 3/11/01 , you wrote:

>The front wheel bearings on my 1500 need replacing, how easy is this to
>do?  Do I need any special tools?  I have looked in my Haynes manual and
>it appears to be relatively straight forward.  I am a complete novice
>with cars, but would like to attempt to do this job myself, otherwise I
>will pay a garage to do it.

Oh, some other tips:

I think the Hanes manual says to tighten the nut well, and then back it
off one flat before putting the cotter pin in.  This is too much.
The "official" end play spec is something like .005", which translates
into about half a flat, or 1/12 of a turn.

Also, check the end play after a couple hundred miles of driving.
You may have thought the bearings were adjusted correctly, but
the pressure on the new seal might have been misleading you.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit