Welder question

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welder question
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:58:47 -0600
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

I have a question for all you welders out there.  There has been much
discussion about MIG welders in the past.  I'm interested in picking one up
for bodywork purposes.  Yes, I need to learn to weld.  No, I don't have 500
dollars to spend.  Harbor Freight has a reconditioned unit from Chicago
Electric for $190.  The ad says:

Weld standard carbon steel with self-shielding flux-core wire or use regular
welding wire for mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum. Includes mask,
brush/hammer, fluxcore wire, welding torch, and cables. Factory
reconditioned, factory perfect.
* Manufacturer: Chicago Electric Welding Systems
* 110V, 4 power settings
* Wire speed control
* Welding current: 25-85 amps
* Duty cycle: 16% @ 75 amps, 60%, 40 amps
* Dimensions: 8-1/4'' x 14-1/2'' x 17-3/4''
* Shipping weight: 57 lbs.

I realize the gas regulator isn't listed, and may be an additional expense.
If my primary purpose is bodywork, would this unit do the job?  Or does it
sound so limited that I pass it up?  TIA, etc.

BillG