Re: Welder question

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Subject: Re: Welder question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:48:15 -0500
Craig Smith wrote:

> I used a flux-core for ALL the body work on my 71.

  Well, I'm certainly not saying that you can't do the
work with flux-core, but I can't see why anyone would
want to given the choice.

> The clean up is something that's going to have to be done anyway, I don't
> know of anyone that can lay a " FLAT " bead !

  Well, grinding down the weld might remove a large
chunk of the slag, but you still have to dig in the
crevices and such. And for welds that will not
be visible in the final product, you can just
clean them up and paint.

  You can also do MIG welding with a much lower
current than flux-core, which really helps reduce
warping and burn through.

  You owe it to yourself to at least try MIG
welding before you marry yourself to flux-core.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca