Re: Welder question

To: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Welder question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:33:11 -0500
At 09:58 PM 3/21/01 -0600, Bill Gingerich wrote:

>Greetings, Fellow Listers,
>
>I have a question for all you welders out there.  There has been much
>discussion about MIG welders in the past.  I'm interested in picking one up
>for bodywork purposes.  Yes, I need to learn to weld.  No, I don't have 500
>dollars to spend.  Harbor Freight has a reconditioned unit from Chicago
>Electric for $190. .....

Since I don't really know enough I won't enter into the discussion about
which is better.  However, most of the shops I know use the gas.  When I
bought mine, I purchased the gas attachment and have a true MIG.

The one comment I will make, is that the click stop settings make the
operator have to work harder.  My Lincoln is continously variable wire
speed and heat.  This lets me adjust the machine to my rythme.  With the
preset settings, *you* will have to be a better welder and change your
rythme to fit what the welder is giving you.

Now the argument about cheap vs good tools comes into play.  Do I buy a
cheap wrench or a quality wrench.  Unfortunately, the welders there is a
lot more money involved.  But remember you get what you pay for.  I had
to save for 2 years to come up with the $850 that my rig cost, but I
really think it was a wise decision.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org