"ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, weberjm@teleport.com
Subject: "ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:15:10 EST
Hi Flyers.  I recall a thread about the ignition light in the past, but since
mine wasn't flickering I didn't bother keeping track of it.  Then my car
wouldn't start.  Here's the scoop:
    About a 2 months ago, after about 40 miles at 70mph (no OD), the "ign"
light on the dash of my 77 daily-driver Spit ("Hobbs") started to flicker.  I
revved the engine a couple of times and it went out.  A few days later, this
time after about 15 miles at 65mph, it happened again.
    Since then, the flickering has gotten more and more prevalent.  Lately,
unless the engine is actually under load, the light burns dimly... revving
the engine partially or completely extinguishes it only at high rpms; as soon
as the tach settles, the light comes back on.
    Yesterday I jumped in Hobbs and turned they key.  Something went "clunk"
and then all I could get was "click" when I turned the key after that.  This
afternoon I tried it again, and all I got was "click" -- once click per key
turn.  Since percussive therapy works so well on Ford starters, I whacked the
starter with a hammer a few times.  Hobbs didn't start, but I felt better for
some odd reason.
    Since I was parked on an incline, I decided to risk toasting the teeth on
the flywheel or some such internal piece by rolling forward and popping the
clutch.  Bingo, he started right up.  Drove around the block once and parked;
2 hours later he started right up again.
    Thus, I assume the starter just decided to lock up and unless it happens
again I have nothing to worry about.  Is this correct?
    Just to confuse me more, the "ign" light is burning even brighter now.
But Hobbs still starts up with no problem!  One would think that if the
voltage regulator or alternator was on its way out and he was operating on
batter power only, he would've bitten the dust long ago considering all the
night driving I do.
    Any suggestions? (keeping in mind that my mechanical aptitude is in the
negative numbers...).  Thanks!
    Scott (& Hobbs)