Re: "ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?

To: "David Armitage" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>, <HD883HUGGR@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: "ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:16:58 +0000
At 09:12 AM 3/29/01 +0100, David Armitage wrote:

>Hi Scott,
>
>I'm not too sure that this is necessarily a charging problem, it may be a
duff battery. If the alternator weren't charging the why would the car
start 2 hours after a short drive? I guess the battery has been getting
steadily weaker requiring more charge from the alternator which at low RPM
can't deliver, hence the light. If you've got an ammeter then check that no
current is being drawn with the ignition off... it may be a component has
gone bad and is slowly draining your battery.

Batteries will recover some of their lost charge just by their very nature
of the lead acid bath the plates are in.  Even a dead battery is still
capable of running a few amps through a system.  If you leave a 'dead'
battery that failed to start a car for a few hours, it may recover enough
to start it later.  It's usually a 50/50 gamble though and it still doesn't
address the problem with the battery not getting charged in the first
place.
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |