Bolts (was Re: 1500 Hard-top Questions)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Bolts (was Re: 1500 Hard-top Questions)
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:25:08 +0100
This whole subject I think is something that needs more exploring.  I
generally tend to order all nuts, bolts, etc. from the big suppliers,
simply because I know I'll get something which fits, and is the appropriate
strength/grade for the task.  But I realise that I pay over the odds for
this, and I also feel stupid phoning Kippings to mail-order a few pence
worth of nuts - the postage sometimes costs more than the parts!  (I
usually try to order at the same time as something else, but sometimes it
just doesn't work out.....)

I know that many listers have vast amounts of experience in engineering,
automotive or otherwise, and can confidently go into a hardware store and
buy exactly what they need, but my attempts to do this in the past have
usually fallen flat.  Often this is because I can't find a part that fits.
Do many stores stock only metric bolts now?

I did once manage to find a nut for the exhaust manifold-downpipe, only to
have it fall off a couple of weeks later - apparently I'd bought one in the
wrong material (can't remember what) and it expanded due to the heat.  Ok,
stupid I know, but I'm not an engineer (well, I'm a computer engineer, but
this isn't very relevant).  Of course I know that exhaust manifolds get
hot, but I *don't* know which materials expand more than others.

What would be really cool is a list of all the nuts, bolts and other common
parts that go into our cars, and a spec for each one - something that I can
take into a hardware shop, show them, and without any more questions be
given the correct thing.  Does anyone know of a resource like this?  If
not, would anyone with a website be willing to host it - I'm sure that if
the list all got together we'd be able to get a sizeable list of bolts
without too much effort.

I'd also appreciate some pointers from UK listers on where to go to get
these parts.  I tend to try places like B&Q, but as I said, I often don't
have too much joy.

Dean