Dumb question#432, tires

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dumb question#432, tires
From: Dale Seeley <DSeeley1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 20:58:55 -0400
I really dislike it when someone asks a question like the one I'm about
to ask because it seems so basic, feel free to beat me about the head.

I've read all of the recent discussions about tire size limitations, but
somehow was unable to answer the following question.  The tire size on
the '78 1500 I've just collected is 155/80/13, as far as I can tell, the
correct size.  Being someone who is unable to leave well enough alone,
I'm hoping to install a set of 175/70/13's for no apparent good reason.
I've read that the 185 width tires usually end up rubbing, but have seen
no mention of the 175's.  My local tire shop is more than willing to
mount up a set of 175/70/13's to 'see what happens', but if it's a known
bad idea I'd prefer to skip the waste of time.  The suspension is stock,
most likely original.  Will the 175/70/13 tire fit well or cause
problems on the stock steel wheels?

Thanks in advance,
Dale