HELP! IGNITION TIMING

To: "SPITFIRE TEAM" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP! IGNITION TIMING
From: "BOYD ETHEREDGE" <bether@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:55:38 -0500
Regarding a1975 Spit1500.
Awhile back I replaced the Stromburg with a Weber DGV.  -  Removed all the
pollution control gear (legal here).  Since then I have been unable to make
the engine run well enough to drive around the block.

I know the dist. centrifig. advance is supposed to be in a tricky balance
with the vacuum retard but after many hours of fiddling with it I can't seem
to find a setting that will allow a decent idle and road speed greater than
40 mph.

If I set the ignition timing to what I understand to be "spec" (2 deg ATDC)
it can be made to idle pretty well.  The lowest RPM at which I can keep it
running is approx. 900.  Sitting still, the engine will rev up, sounding
nicely.  But If I try to drive, it backfires big time when I open the
throttle even a little.  I advance the timing and can get it to run, after a
fashion, - but pep flattens out, under load, above 30 mph.

I've tried disconnecting (and plugging) the vacuum line to the retard unit
and resetting the timing but no real improvement.

It has an Allison after-market electronic ignition sensor, amp and coil.

Any ideas from the experts?
Should I simply replace the dist. with one with a more conventional vacuum
advance?  If so, which one?  Where can I get it?  Am I even barking up the
right tree?

I recall a similar thread back in January (Paul Tegler ?) but I somehow
missed the resolution if any.

This is a nice old car, otherwise in good shape.  (Never seen snow or ice,
rarely seen rain.)  I would hate to have to give it to the knacker man.  But
my boss sez "Get it running, or get it OUT."

Boyd Etheredge
admitted lurker but avid fan