Re: 18...Do I hear 19

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 18...Do I hear 19
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:13:13 -0500
Larry --

There are a lot of things I'd check before messing more with the
carbs ... as was just quoted on the Triumph list, carburettor
problems are generally "90% electrical, 9% fuel, 1% mechanical".

Do you have the right plugs?
Are they gapped properly?
Firing in the right order?  (easy to mess up!)
Are they sparking?
Are your air filters clean?
How old is your coil?  Brand new ones can be bad, too.
Are your low tension leads (going in to coil) in good shape?
How old are your wires?  Brand new ones can be bad, too.
Are the wires on tight?
Do you have the cap and rotor on right?  Are they in good shape?
Is the timing close to OK?
Have you checked your valve clearances?
What about your camshaft positioning?  Is it possible that the
camshaft is not properly related to the crankshaft?  (it's easy to
get the cam sprocket off a few degrees!)
Is the engine-to-chassis ground in good shape?
Is compression even across the cylinders?
Is your fuel filter clear?
Are your intake manifold and intake manifold gasket OK?
Have you installed an electric fuel pump without a pressure
regulator?  (That dogged me for years)
Are your carb float levels correct?

Just some (hopefully) helpful suggestions for things to check.

FWIW, the best way I've found to check for air leaks is to take a can
of cheap carb cleaner and spray it at whatever you think might leak
while the engine's idling.  If the engine changes its speed, then the
spot you just sprayed has a leak.

HTH,
Dan

>That's right, 18 flats down on both HS-4's
>just to get something approaching a proper
>mixture ( plugs are slightly grayish tan). I can't
>find any air  leaks. I do have the vacuum lines
>from both carbs plugged. On acceleration after
>sitting at a traffic light the engine sputters until
>I either apply the choke or floor it and sputter
>on until it finally smoothes out. This thing is
>DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! Everytime I think
>I have a line on what's going on, it seems to change.
>All this after an engine rebuild. HELP!!!
>Larry

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!

///