Re: 18...Do I hear 19

To: Larry Elswick <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: 18...Do I hear 19
From: "matt matthews" <mattspit@att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:59:02 -0600
I had something similar on a 1500 spit racer with dual 1.5 inch SU's. I
eventually fixed it by replacing the dashpots and pistons.
I did the drop test that Burlen recommends and found that they were
different but just within spec. Still, on the car, standing still but
varring RPM from 2000 to 5000, they seemed to never raise very far and never
the same amount. Further, the seemed sluggish on rapid RPM rises. I noticed
with a small side load on the piston they seemed to bind. I eventually
decided that on acceleration the air rushing into the carb bound up the
piston, keeping the velocity high over the bridge but not exposing the thin
(rich) part of the needle. I supposed it was worn guides. Float level
problens also compounded the problem.

I don't really know if I was right or not but I fixed the problem.
----------
>From: Larry Elswick <sos@kymtnnet.org>
>To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
>Subject: 18...Do I hear 19
>Date: Wed, Apr 11, 2001, 9:40 PM
>

>That's right, 18 flats down on both HS-4's
>just to get something approaching a proper
>mixture ( plugs are slightly grayish tan). I can't
>find any air  leaks. I do have the vacuum lines
>from both carbs plugged. On acceleration after
>sitting at a traffic light the engine sputters until
>I either apply the choke or floor it and sputter
>on until it finally smoothes out. This thing is
>DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! Everytime I think
>I have a line on what's going on, it seems to change.
>All this after an engine rebuild. HELP!!!
>Larry

///