Re: 18...Do I hear 19

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <sos@kymtnnet.org>
Subject: Re: 18...Do I hear 19
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:12:42 -0400
You rebuilt the engine, but what is the carburetor story?  As in were these
working fine when removed, and now don't work right when reinstalled, or were
they purchased and put on for the first time when the engine rebuild was done?
This sort of information is quite important in diagnosing the problem.

Did the engine rebuild involve replacing the fuel pump?  I have learned through
experience that the warnings about after market fuel pumps having way too much
peak pressure is very true.  Excessive and ever changing fuel pressures make
live very interesting with an SU.

Your description of smoothing it out with the choke, or waiting for the engine
to catch up describes a lean problem.  If the piston goes up very quickly and
high, you bog.  So, what's your oil situation in the dash pots?

You  describe the problem as changing constantly, while also mentioning having
vacuum plugs on the carburetors.  This makes me wonder about your ignition.
Sounds like you have the vacuum advance disconnected.  Do you have the vacuum
advance plate secured, or is it able to shift around?  Erratic ignition timing
greatly affects how the engine runs, where and how it idles, and can appear
like fuel mixture problems.

>>> Larry Elswick <sos@kymtnnet.org> 04/11 11:40 PM >>>

That's right, 18 flats down on both HS-4's
just to get something approaching a proper
mixture ( plugs are slightly grayish tan). I can't
find any air  leaks. I do have the vacuum lines
from both carbs plugged. On acceleration after
sitting at a traffic light the engine sputters until
I either apply the choke or floor it and sputter
on until it finally smoothes out. This thing is
DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! Everytime I think
I have a line on what's going on, it seems to change.
All this after an engine rebuild. HELP!!!

///