Re: Spit O/D tranny rebuild needed

To: Ptegler <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Subject: Re: Spit O/D tranny rebuild needed
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:22:42 -0400
You're pretty handy Paul, why not rebuild it yourself?  It's really not that
hard
to do.  You can wait until you disassemble it to measure the size shims and such
that you need.

Are hardened gears worth it?  I tend to say yes, but it does rather depend.  In
your case, I'd say definately.  If you drive hard, shift hard, or have a hot
engine, it matters.  Not sure how hard the faces are on the stock gears though,
or especially aftermarket replacement gears (I've had some aftermarket sprockets
fold their teeth over after a few seconds).

You say clunky synchros though, and that makes me wonder if your transmission
needs the rebuild you describe.  For synchros don't normally go balky together.
This would tend to make me suspect you've got a problem with your input shaft
not
being completely released to spin freely, which would cause the symptoms of
balky
shifting and even grinding.  Be the problem a sticking clutch, binding or worn
pilot bearing, etc.  Not saying this is the problem, just something to consider.

Remember too, Carlisle is coming up next month.  Carrying the transmission up
there isn't a bad idea.  Quantum will be there (at least I expect he will be),
and you could eliminate half the shipping cost.  If you call him before the
show,
you might even be able to work out a direct exchange to take place at the show,
and go home with a freshly rebuilt gearbox.

Ptegler wrote:

> Alrighty then .... I need a good source for rebuilding
> a Spit 1500 tranny (clunky syncros).
> I don't want to have to ship it half way across the country.
> I'm looking for someone in the Baltimore/Washington area.
> Any MD / VA / PA area shops have a good reputation?
> any experiences from anyone on the lists?
>
> I know you can buy kits to rebuild them yourself but how do you
> know what shim thickness you might need, or the proper
> gear ratios? (reverse had two (3?) different ratios avail)
> (Midget /Spit 1500 trannies have different ratios as well)
>
> How about 'hardened' gears? worth it or just hype?

///