Sunday!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Sunday!
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:01:47 -0600
Hello Spitsters!

Well, anyone who says that these little, quasi-anachronistic beaties that we
love so much are unreliable and impractical should have been with me and Nigel
and our friend Maurizio yesterday!

We did something that I've been wanting to do for years-we went to Lancaster to
see the poppies! And it was gorgeous! It took about 2 1/2 hours to drive from
Costa Mesa to the high desert-up the Interstate 5 to the Antelope Valley
freeway. Nigel behaved wonderfully-even with the heat of the valleys and
desert, all the climbing. No questions, no hestitaions on his part. (I wish all
the men I know would be as uncomplaining as Nigel!)

When we got to Lancaster and got off the freeway, it was a very pleasent drive
out to the poppy preserve-two lane country roads-and the hills and fields
around us in orange and yellow and purple bloom-all the better to enjoy in an
open car, close to the ground.

At the reserve, people commented on the car, plenty of thumbs up from the
bikers! (And one of the rangers.) After a "Dodger Dog", we had a nice hike up
the hill to a lookout point-and what a veiw! Well worth the walk.

Then the photo op. We found a good place to park the car and try for some
photos-I have thought ever since I got Nigel that he would look beautiful posed
against the golden orange of a field of California poppies-and he did! Can't
wait to see the pictures. Maurizio was a great sport, standing in the middle of
a rather busy road full of other sightseers, to get a good picture.

A seemingly long ride back to town-seemed long as the sun was HOT!, and the car
was getting low on gas. And we were back on the highway. Now, this is the
really amazing part of this story. Maurizio went to sleep! In a Triumph
Spitfire doing 80mph, on a well traveled freeway, top down, engine sounding
like a small airplane, wind in your ears, stereo blaring. Just put his head
back, face to the sun-and went to sleep! Incredible!

Next stop on our Easter Sunday adventure, was a side trip to West Hills to
visit Bob Muzio's new baby-a 1963 Jaguar Series I E-Type Coupe. Wow! What a
buy! It's really a good looking car, BRG-and the body is really straight and
good. Can't wait to see it on the road!

We finally returned to Costa Mesa at 8pm-10 hours after we started-hungry,
grimy, tired and cold! (By the time we got to Redondo Beach on the 405,
Maurizio quietly asked if the heater was on-if it worked!) We covered about 300
miles!

300 miles in an open, 1978 Triumph Spitfire is a rough ride! It's equal to 1000
miles in a 2000 BMW sedan!

But, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Laura G.

///