Re: Outer Door Window seals

To: SMatson802@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Outer Door Window seals
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:22:47 -0400
At 06:06 PM 4/15/2001 -0400, SMatson802@aol.com wrote:

>I have the clips and the rubber seals that go on the outside of the side
>windows.  With a bit of creativity, I have the clips in place matching the
>appropriate markes on the rubber seals.  The problem is that the clips do not
>even come close to holding the seals in place.  Might I have the wrong clips?

Can you compare the new clips you have, to the old ones that came off? They
don't have to be identical but they should be the same length and grip the
same "thickness".

ISTR from when I did my waist seals, that unless the clips were positioned
accurately front-to-back they would be crooked and would not fully hold the
seals in place.  I tried really hard to align them too, I marked the
positions with masking tape, and had the door panels off and the window
glass stop removed so that the glass would be "out of the way". Still was a
bit difficult as the clips would move when I applied pressure to them.

>Also, what cement is best to glue the plastic covers that go on the top of
>the doors on the inside?

I used a 3M contact cement from the auto parts store. I used the factory
method of just applying the glue to the front and rear edges.

Good Luck

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA