Re: Bentley vs Factory manuals

To: wrgingerich@qwest.net
Subject: Re: Bentley vs Factory manuals
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, BillG.

The Bentley manuals are reprints of the factory manuals.  I have not
found any differences in the content.

The format, OTOH, is quite different.  The factory manuals were
printed on 8-1/2x11 glossy paper in a three-ring binder; certain pages
(like schematics, some tables or larger drawings) were printed on
foldout pages, that were (IIRC) 14x11.

Bentley prints two of each of the original pages sideways on an A4
size sheet, or a foldout one to an A4 sheet.

I found the original format much more usable, but it is much harder to
find these days.  (I've been outbid on several on eBay so far.)

The '71-'74 manual (covering "SPITFIRE IV") does have coverage of the
1500 engine, but (IMNSHO) is a very poor manual.  Quite inferior to
the earlier manual covering the Spitfire 4, Mk-2, and Mk-3.  FWIW.

Donald.

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:04:26 -0500
> From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
>

> Greetings, Fellow Listers,
>
> A couple of questions regarding manuals:  Do the Triumph factory manuals that
> are currently available offer information that the Bentley books do not?  I
> have the Bentley and am wondering if I should get the factory book also (can't
> have too many books)  Also, does the factory manual for the '71-'74 Spitfire
> cover the 1500 engine?

///