Tranny questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny questions
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:57:10 EDT
Hello all!
It is finally warm in the Hudson Valley, & I've been able to begin to work on
my 1968 (which may really be a 1967 {FD13321}) Mk. 3. I needed to rebuild the
clutch M/C, which was fairly simple, but then I found the slave cylinder
leaked like a sieve. No problem, I pulled the slave, and also rebushed the
shift lever and the shaft in the extension. The slave looked quite messed up,
so I pulled the tranny cover off of my 1970 Mk.3 organ donor (Fred Flintstone
car, huge holes in floorboards, but has many good parts). Several question
arise which needs your varied expertise:
1. the '67/'68 tranny has no apparent reverse switch, and I cannot find where
it would be in either my factory or Haynes manuals, but the '70 tranny has
the switch on the left rear side of the topcover, and my Haynes manual only
show that switch on the cutaway view of the '70-'74 all-synchro gearboxes.
So-- where would I find the switch on an older Mk.3 gearbox? Do I have an
all-synchro gearbox and should I switch it to the '68?
2. Both the slave cylinders have a metal cap (factory # 515299, the retainer
for the dust cover) that holds the dust cover, which is flat, not the earlier
cap shaped one which looks a lot like the cap on the brake MC, in place. How
do I take this retainer off w/o destroying it, and how does it get refitted?
I sure don't want to drop $70 for a new slave cylinder.
3. The original shift lever is lightly pitted, but there is some wear on the
end where the reverse lock out and the bush is, and this leaves a little slop
in the shifter. The other shift lever is more pitted, but has no noticeable
wear, which, I would assume, means that it would have less slop. Is my
reasoning correct? How can I get the levers to look shiny and new again?

Thanks in advance for the help, I've found this list to be an amazing
resource and I continue to be astounded by the depth of knowledge out there.

Brian Yarborough

///