Portland to Phoenix- breakdown problem solved

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portland to Phoenix- breakdown problem solved
From: rtgetzinger@scif.com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 9:25:08 PDT
After limping the car at 20 to 30 mph on the apron of Interstate 5 from
Oregon to Redding... the most scenic stretch of I-5!
The fuel filter was old so it was replaced. Everything looked new or near.
They took off again. About an hour later and 10 miles further down the road
they were still having the same problem. At about 25 to 30 mph the car just
had no more power. This time, tools in hand, I drove down to their location.
1. took fuel line off at the carb, turned over, low but sufficient fuel flow,
replaced.
2. dropped the carb fuel bowl, slightly below half level, bent the float tab
down to allow over half a bowl of fuel, replaced.
3. removed and sucked on the vacuum advance line and observed advance in the
distributor, cool, replaced.
4. Started up and checked timing, 12 degrees btdc, my 74 is 10 btdc, original
75 hood stated 2 degrees atdc, adjusted timing back to 2 degrees atdc,
adjusted carb to compensate for reduced rpm. Problem solved.
At 12 btdc at full throttle the spark advanced to near 24 btdc so the more he
sped up the more the engine wanted to push the piston back the other way.
I followed him to the southern Shasta County line doing 65 mph. The boys were
still zippin along as they neared Sacramento later last night.
Rob
Redding, CA