Re: Dynamic timing questions

To: Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dynamic timing questions
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
Just an addendum,

--- Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com> wrote:
> A larger gap on the points would cause the points to
> close
> later - retarding the timing (I think).

The ignition fires when the points open. I know this
seems counterintuitive. While the points are closed,
current flows into the coil, storing energy in the
magnetic field that is created. When the points open,
the magnetic field collapses very quickly, which
creates a very high voltage in the secondary windings.

Bottom line is that increasing the points gap will
advance the timing, while decreasing the dwell.

Carter
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///