Re: Dynamic timing questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dynamic timing questions
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:12:56 -0400
>From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
>
>I'm still confused by the mis-timing of my spitfire
>1500.
>
>To reiterate the problem. When I opened the gap on the
>points (as far as .025" from the initial .016"), the
>car would increase idle speed significantly. And my
>car's signature sputter at 3k rpms decreased pretty
>significantly. It turns out that, in effect the larger
>gap was advancing (?) the distributor (i think). This
>was with the static set to 10deg BTDC and plugs gapped
>to .025".

A larger gap on the points would cause the points to close
later - retarding the timing (I think).  It's OK to increase
the spark plug gap, but I wouldn't mess with the points gap.
I would also use feeler gauges just for an initial setting
and then check it with a dwell meter for more accuracy.

>But adjusting the distributor housing clockwise, moves
>the static and dynamic timing even further out Before
>Tap Dead Center (earlier) in the crank's rotation,
>right? Which I would assume would make the car run
>choppy. (e.g. combustion while the piston is on an
>upstroke). but it doesn't.

I've noticed that my spitfires will tolerate incredible amounts
of timing advance and still happily idle although tend to "hunt"
at a steady cruising speed.  Not a good idea, since you will probably
have engine damaging pinking which you wouldn't be able to hear
over all the other mechanical noises.

>To be specific, with the gap set correctly to .014"
>and playing with the distributor housing adjustment,
>vacuum port capped and vac advance unattached. I get a
>drastic increase in RPMS around 30 deg BTDC using my
>timing light (this is an estimation since the scale on
>the timing chain cover only goes to 20 deg BTDC).
>
>At 10 deg BTDC (static/dynamic) the car's idle speed
>drops and occasional pops and the signature sputter at
>3K rpms returns. BUT the car seems to have more
>torque. But any further towards ATDC than 10 deg BTDC
>and the engine stumbles and eventually cuts off around
>the 0 deg TDC mark.
>
>Is this normal, or is my 1500 engine possibly have a
>mis-indexed camshaft, sticking valve, worn muffler
>bearing, bent kanutsen valve?

A 1500 should idle sweetly with the timing set to TDC.

>Also, putting the timing light on the #4 plug wire, I
>get the crank notch appearing in the same spot in the
>cranks rotation as the #1 ignition. What's with that?

The plugs only fire every other engine revolution and the
number 4 fires at the same spot as number 1, but on the
off revolution.  2 and 3 do the same thing, but 180 degrees out.

>Once again, 138-140 lbs. compression across all
>cylinders. New bottom end bearings about 10k miles
>ago. New plug wires, cap, points assembly, condensor,
>rotor, plugs. All above measurements were with the
>vacuum advance unattached and the vacuum port
>sealed/plugged. No hunting idle. No forward/rearward
>movement in the crank (thrust washers in good shape).
>This is a '77 engine with dual carbs. (the sparking
>tips have become slightly tanned in the past 300 miles
>of driving, but are slightly toward the white range).
>Last night I enrichened the carbs a half of a flat.
>
>Trying to figure out why the car increases idle speed
>so far BTDC is making my head hurt. Any ideas?

Basically if your timing advances smoothly as engine speed
increases and doesn't jump around, it may not be optimized,
but it shouldn't cause any major driveability problems.  I
would set it to spec and look elsewhere (I'm sorry, but I
don't recall the original post describing the problems.  Why
do you have a points distributor in a '77?)

Sorry I didn't have any answers, just gave you a little more
to think about!  Good luck

Greg Rowe