Re: New Spitfire Owner

To: David Lover <dlover25@home.com>
Subject: Re: New Spitfire Owner
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:59:58 -0600
David Lover wrote:

> I just wanted to say hi. I just bought my first Spitfire two days ago. It's a
> '74 spitfire 1500. The engine has 2000 miles since a major overhaul. There
> might some transmission repairs in my future (it slips out of reverse, and
> grinds a little if I go from first to second gear to quickly.) It definitely
> needs some interior work. I drove it from Minneapolis to home (Rochester, MN)
> with no problems.

Yes, possible transmission work, but check all aspects of clutch
operation first. The grinding from first to second (since it varies by
speed of shifting) sounds like synchro rings. Popping out of reverse
could be nothing more than a weak detent spring in the shifter.

If you're determined to do a lot of your own work, take the time to hunt
down a spare transmission to rebuild (or have rebuilt, if you don't
trust your own skills yet). That way, you can continue to drive, and
when the new box is ready, it's just a Saturday to replace the
transmission (and the clutch works, if necessary). Besides, one can
never have enough spares. <smile>

> I've been listening to the group for about a week now, and am amazed how
> friendly everyone is. It truly seems that this group is one big extended
> family. I should start by apologizing in advanced for any dumb questions I
> ask. I haven't done a lot of mechanical projects other than basic tune ups.
> I've got recent versions of some of the catalogs and the Haynes manual. Can
> you recommend any other basic resources? Is there an FAQ of some sort to get
> me started?

Others have suggested the Bentley manual, which is a reduced size
reprint of the factory manual. Try the used booksellers for a parts
manual, too, since one can order with the factory number from The
Roadster Factory and a couple of other places.

As for parts sources other than the big three (TRF, Vicky Brit and
Moss), I have found a quite good small parts source in England for
Spit/GT6, if a part cannot be found, or at reasonable price, in the
U.S.:

http://www.sportscarsupplies.co.uk

Ask for Andy Haw.

You might also have a look at the SpitBits site. The guy who runs it,
Nigel, is well-spoken of on this list, and I've never had any trouble
with the orders I've placed:

http://www.spitbits.com/

As for a FAQ, the first stop should be:

http://www.vtr.org

... which is the official page for the Vintage Triumph Register.
Mechanical tips, buying guides, classifieds and national and local club
information.

On the subject of clubs, one of the best resources is the Triumph club
nearest you, or if one isn't in your area, the nearest all-makes British
car club. Most active clubs contain at minimum, a few real greasemonkeys
who are happy to give you a hand.

For specific archive questions, go to:

http://www.listquest.com/auto/tier2/british.html

Note that there are two Triumph lists with a "(T.N.)" notation--these
are the team.net lists for Triumphs and for Spitfires, and while these
archives aren't updated in real-time, the chances are very good that
many of your questions have been answered at some time in the past.

And, yeah, my very first car was a `63 Spitfire4, bought in Hawaii in
1968:

http://www.zianet.com/mporter/triumphs.html

Cheers, and welcome aboard. Enjoy the car.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.

///