Re: Testing the patience of the group

To: "David Lover" <dlover25@home.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Testing the patience of the group
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:23:00 -0500
>OK. Here we go. My first weekend with the new Spitfire. I'm going to start
>small. I want to change my oil and transmission fluid. I've done a lot of
>oil changes, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I'm trying to figure out
>the best way to access the transmission filler/level plug. Should I be able
>to access this from the top, or does this need some definite jacking up? If
>jacking is required, do I have to jack it up level (jack stands?) to make
>sure the filler/level plug is at the right position for an accurate fill?
>
>I really hope I don't annoy the group by asking such basic questions. I'm a
>very technical person, I just don't have much automotive mechanics
>experience. It is really part of the reason I bought this car, is to better
>understand this stuff. I'm kicking myself for taking woodworking classes in
>high school instead of automotive. Who knew...

David --

I don't think you're going to annoy the group at all - that's what
we're here for (among other things!).

Ideally, yes, the car should be level when the transmission is
filled.  Perfection in levelling is not necessary.  If you have a
sloping driveway, you could cheat and point the nose downhill and
jack just the front end up or use ramps; that's what I do.  You can
fill it from the bottom if you have something that acts as an
extension to the oil can - you can't get the whole oil can up there.
Using some gas line of the right diameter to fit on the oil container
works for me; be sure it's not too big to fit into the filler hole.
The whole process is somewhat messy.

It's also possible to remove the transmission tunnel cover for really
easy access to the filler plug - but the removal itself isn't so easy!

As always, exercise caution when jacking up the car for work
underneath it.  Use good jackstands, don't rely on just a jack, don't
have people getting into and out of the car while anyone's under it,
etc.  It takes more time, but being crushed is decidedly inconvenient.

When dealing with something as awkward as this, wearing safety
glasses isn't a bad idea either.  Gear oil in the eye doesn't sound
like too much fun!

HTH,
Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!

///