Overheat at high RPM's

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheat at high RPM's
From: "Mike Nelson" <mnelson@tconl.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:16:39 -0500
Terry T's advice has helped a great deal with solving my overheating
problem.  last night at my British Car Club meeting, when I described the
problem about the temps climbing at 3000 RPM and greater, they immediately
said it was timing.

Well, I borrowed a timing light, and it tested at 20 degrees BTDC.  Specs
say 10 degrees.  I adjusted it, idle has gone down to 700, pickup and
acceleration seem to suffer a bit.  Temps still rise.. drats.

What next?  Mine is a front leaning electric fan version, '79 Spit.  I
removed the entire front bumper to eliminate the lack of airflow issue.
Thermostat has bee replaced to a 160 degree.  Timing has been adjusted.  I
will flush the system this afternoon and need some advice on how to
accomplish that.  Any other ideas?

Mike Nelson
Omaha

///