Market value

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Market value
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:44:49 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers;

I have a question regarding originality and perceived value related to
engines.  As you all know I spun a bearing and dropped one half of the thrust
washer in my '74.  There is damage to the bearing caps, and perhaps the block
itself.  I haven't taken it to the machine shop yet, so I don't know if it's
salvageable.  I also notice where the block has been welded in the area beside
the #1 big end bearing.  This car was built in Belgium, and is one of 11 (last
time I counted) 1974's with a 1FM commission number listed in Joe's database.
I don't know if that makes it worth more on the open market, but I've always
thought it was kind of special.  I'm trying to keep it as close to original
spec as I can.  Anyway, the question is do I go out of my way to try to keep
the original engine?  I'd really like to, just for me.  I'm keeping this car
forever.  My wife or kids will have to dispose of it after I'm gone - which I
hope is a LONG time from now!

Opinions?

BillG
'73 Spit