New spitfire MKIV for $12.99

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: New spitfire MKIV for $12.99
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:08:12 -0700
A friend of my just brought me a BRG 1/18 scale die cast
spitfire MKIV. He got it at the local McFrugals, and says
that there is one green one and several white ones left.

The outside of the box says "Chrono", and a stick
on label has the number H1041 and says
TRIUMPH SPITFIRE OPEN CONVERTIBLE 1970 "BRITISH RACING GREEN"
The car itself says "Sun Star" on the bottom.

If anyone is in the Watsonville, CA area, you might want
to check it out. (or check your local McFrugals toy department)

If anyone far away wants one, I could probably pick it
up and get it to you for cost+shipping+"whatever you feel is fair".
(BTW, this url:
http://www.collectorsguild.on.ca/british.html
lists this model for 28.95, and I saw one on ebay for $24...
so 12.99 may be a bargain. Personaly, there is no way I would
pay $30 for this item. Even $20 would be a stretch.)

Make no mistakes, this is a low quality, made-in-china
item. The bonnet does open, as do the doors. The steering wheel
also steers the wheels. The trunk does not open, and the soft
top is permanently molded in the 'down' position.  The seats are
low back. The interior (on the BRG one at least) is black.
There are no side marker lights.

It is equipped with dual SU's and is left hand drive.
I think it also has OD, but it's hard to tell.
The license number is M-HE 1489 (it is a euro style plate)

The bumpers are chrome.
There is a "Triumph" badge on the rear bumper, and
"Spitfire IV" badges on the rear quarters and the bonnet.

The gauges and heater controls are printed on the dash,
with reasonable quality (the speedo is in KMH, and goes to
200). The dash itself is a wood grain sticker of poor quality.

It does have two interesting points of authenticity.
The rear wheels seem to be free floating, "swing spring"
fashion. And the most astounding: Mine seemed to come with
a small amount of oil spread over the bottom. (I think it
came from around the screws that hold it to the plastic base
plate in the box.)
Other than that fine touch, the under car detail is poor.

If you want to see what they look like, search the google.com
for chrono die cast spitfire.

Now I just have to find a sentra model of the same scale,
so I can make an authentic replica of my engine swap...

Keep on spitting :-)
--
Reed Mideke
email: rfm(at)cruzers.com  -If that fails:  rfm(at)portalofevil.com

///